I am serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Brazil, Porto Alegre North Mission. I post on this blog every week, so check it out to hear about my life as a missionary!

Monday, June 8, 2015

Week 40

This week we worked a lot with some of the members in this ward to make a choir for the ward conference this coming week. We chose two songs and have been working with them for a few weeks. There is a young man here that is coming back to church and preparing for a mission that has helped us out a lot. He works with bands and records them in his studio. He recorded us singing one of the songs so that we could show the choir how to sing it. It was super cool and because of it the young man is helping us teach his friends.

Oh Saturday I got a really awesome opportunity to give a presentation at an English School called TopWay. A traveling professor had talked to me beforehand in the church which is close by and given me an overview of the slide show that I´d base my presentation on. I talked a lot about the culture differences and what life is like in the States. I was really impressed with the level of English they spoke, and the professor even helped me out with a few words that I´d forgotten after 9 months of straight Portuguese!



The best part of the presentation was the end, when I explained why I was here and about the Church. I told them all about what missionaries do, and bore my testimony to wrap it up. At the end I gave them all pass-along cards and they were very interested. One young man even asked me if he could have the Book of Mormon. Thankfully I always carry at least one with me so I was able to give it to him and for the first time on my mission I explained what the Book of Mormon is in English! I really felt the Spirit testifying of what I spoke.

Before we left they all invited us back and gave us shirts from the school. As we were grabbing our bus we ran into one of the students that had been at the presentation, and during the bus ride we talked about what we do in more detail. He was a 17 year old young man and actually lived really close to our house. We grabbed his address and plan to visit him soon.

At church on Sunday we were very surprised and happy to find that Nicole had come to church all by herself and had even brought the Book of Mormon we´d given her! She loves the Primary and has made many friends there. The older couple that had come to church two week ago also came again and thanked us for passing by last week even though they weren´t at home. After Sacrament Meeting they gave me both of their numbers and asked for us to swing by this coming Tuesday. We see a lot of potential in them.

It´s transfers week this week and so I will stay while my companion goes to another area. I´m excited to stay and have many plans for the next transfer here!

--
Élder Joseph Andrew
Missão Porto Alegre Norte
Caixa Postal 13008
CEP: 91010-971
Porto Alegre - RS
BRASIL

No comments:

Post a Comment