I am serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Brazil, Porto Alegre North Mission. I post on this blog every week, so check it out to hear about my life as a missionary!

Monday, May 25, 2015

Week 38

This week, due to our hard work in gaining the trust of the members and less-actives, we were asked many times to give blessings to family members and friends. I was very happy for this opportunity to use the Priesthood more and bless other people. Almost daily, during our lunch visits with members and throughout the day, we were asked to give blessings for the sick or stressed family members at home. One of the more spiritual blessings was with a small child of 3 years. He was super energetic but during the blessing he was very calm. I had been working on the more formal way of speaking in Portuguese and it came in handy during the blessings. From all these blessings and opportunities to serve we were able to find people to teach whose hearts had been softened from the results and increased spirit.

On Thursday as we were waiting for the weekly District Meeting I was able to do many contacts with the people passing in the street. I was humbled as I spoke with many of the people as they came from very poor backgrounds. One man with whom I talked with actually asked for us to visit him the following day. He lived right next to a woman that was a reference from a member that we had received the day before. I also contacted someone very promising, but unfortunately for us he lives in a neighboring city. The only problem with these areas close to Porto Alegre is that you get contacts from all the neighboring cities.

At church I was sitting with my companion when the bishop asked that I sit next to an older couple that had just arrived and looked a little lost. We jumped right up at the opportunity and helped them find a place to sit and we got to know them better. The man was a less-active member that hadn´t been to church in years, and his wife is not a member. I got their address to visit them later this week. I was happy to see that the other members also jumped right up to get to know them and guide them around the church to where they needed to go. The woman was very receptive and enjoyed it a lot.

We were also able to go to the temple on Tuesday! What a blessing it is to be able to attend the temple on the mission.


--
Élder Joseph Andrew
Missão Porto Alegre Norte
Caixa Postal 13008
CEP: 91010-971
Porto Alegre - RS
BRASIL

No comments:

Post a Comment