I am serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Brazil, Porto Alegre North Mission. I post on this blog every week, so check it out to hear about my life as a missionary!

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Week 2

Well I've been here for 2 weeks today! Couldn't be happier. I love it here, and I'm picking up the language little by little. I'm finding success in understanding the gist of what people say for the most part, and I'm working on speaking faster. I never thought of it, but when we speak English, it sounds super fast and confusing to people from other countries because we slur our words together and speak at a speed comfortable to us because we're fluent in English. It's the same here. When I first talked to someone on the streets, I thought they were speaking something other than Portuguese because it sounded so fast. But it'll come given time.
 
We enjoyed several devotionals this week, and it was interesting to hear what each speaker had to say. Many of them were missionaries who had served here many many years ago. Some of them were from the states and so every once in a while they would have to look back and ask the MTC president how to say a word in Portuguese because it had been so long since they'd served. From the past 2 weeks, the most important thing I've learned is that obedience brings blessings! More than anything, if we are exactly obedient to the commandments, counsel from leaders, and other rules, the Lord will pour out blessings on you. And for us at the MTC, we want those blessings more than anything as we attempt to learn a new language. Hope to hear from you next week!
Love,
Elder Andrew

--
Elder Joseph Andrew
Porto Alegre North Mission
Caixa Postal 13008
CEP 91010-971
Porto Alegre-RS
Brazil

No comments:

Post a Comment