I am serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Brazil, Porto Alegre North Mission. I post on this blog every week, so check it out to hear about my life as a missionary!

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Week 3

This is my halfway point at the MTC! This week I learned a lot about how to teach. The 2 years that I spent in mission prep really prepared me for this week. One of the principles I recognized from my experience in mission prep was that when we prepare lessons for investigators we should always have something we want thtme to know (saber), feel (sentir), and do (fazer). I thought of Brother and Sister Schern (my mission prep instructors) and mentally thanked them for teaching us that so I could learn faster here.
 
We found out last Sunday that we'll be prostlyting this coming Friday! We've only been here for 3 weeks and here we go to place 4 copies of the Book of Mormon in an hour. I'm so excited. Hopefully I'll be able to speak and understand them! We also learned that a few months ago there used to be a total of 6 Americans in the MTC because of Visa difficulties. Now there are over 150, more than Brazilians. Of course they come and go faster though. I feel so blessed.
 
During this week I tried to memorize many scriptures in an attempt to learn the language faster and have something to recite to investigators when we taught them a particular lesson. One of them was the 1st Vision: "Vi um pilar de luz, acima de minha cabeça, mais brilhante que o sol, que descia gradualmente sobre mim... Quando a luz poussou sobre mim, vi dois Personagems, cujo esplendor e gloria desafiam qualquer descrição, pairando no ar, acima de mim. Um Deles falou-me, chamando-me pelo nome, e disse, apontando para o outro: Este é Meu Filho Amado. Ouve-o!"
 
I am serving a mission for 2 years. For 2 years I am in another country across the globe, speaking a different language. I have left my family whom I love very much; my friends; my education; and all other opportunities including marriage, for 2 years. I serve for my God who had given me life; for the Lord Jesus Christ who is my Savior and Redeemer and has suffered for all my sins and felt all my pains; and for my family who has supported me from birth, taught me important lessons throughout my life, and never ceased to show me love through raising me with the gospel of Jesus Christ, teaching me when I made countless mistakes, and being proud of my righteous actions. Now in the mission field, I represent my God, my Savior, and my family. I am here to invite all to come unto Christ, become perfected in Him, and with Him partake of all the blessings of Salvation and eternal exaltation. I have spent the last 18 years enjoying the knowledge and blessings of eternal families, and now it is my turn to preach that wonderful news to the world. I am a representative of Jesus Christ, a missionary of the CHurch of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. How great is my calling!
 
If I don't respond to your emails or letters right away I am sorry, we are so busy we have literally no time. But you will get a response! Love you all!

--
Elder Joseph Andrew
Porto Alegre North Mission
Caixa Postal 13008
CEP 91010-971
Porto Alegre-RS
Brazil

No comments:

Post a Comment