I am serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Brazil, Porto Alegre North Mission. I post on this blog every week, so check it out to hear about my life as a missionary!

Monday, November 24, 2014

Week 12

This last week I was transferred to Carazinho, in the Passo Fundo Zone. It is literally on the very border of the mission. It took 6 hours just to get here from headquarters in Porto Alegre. My new companion is Elder Diamond from Orem, Utah. He is also actually quite young on the mission with 6 months, only double what I have. He´s ridiculously good at cooking, teaching our investigators, and speaking Portuguese. In this city there are 2 areas, so I live in an apartment with 3 other elders, unlike my last area. This morning my companion made pancakes with buttermilk syrup. That´s the best breakfast I´ve had in 3 months! I sure lucked out, he was actually a chef for 2 different restaurants before.

During my first 2 days here we met some of the coolest people ever. They are definitely elect. With one house we just had an impression to try knocking and it turned out to be a small family where the father had been inactive for decades, wanted to return to church, has a wife and daughter, and the whole household is excited and really receptive. They live in humble circumstances which really makes a difference. Those who have an easy life with all they want don´t want to change. This daughter had an accident where something took a slice of her face years ago. Now she can only see through one eye. She has been through a lot and it has really humbled her. That family is very precious to us.

Because Brazil doesn´t have Halloween or Thanksgiving, they set up their Christmas decorations super early, sometimes in the beginning of November. We finally broke down and busted out the Christmas music yesterday! It´s quite weird to listen to while we get ready in the heat. Later today my companion will make us an awesome lunch and we´ll head over to the chapel to play soccer with some of the young men here. I´m loving this new area!

--
Elder Joseph Andrew
Porto Alegre North Mission
Caixa Postal 13008
CEP 91010-971
Porto Alegre-RS
Brazil

No comments:

Post a Comment