I am serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Brazil, Porto Alegre North Mission. I post on this blog every week, so check it out to hear about my life as a missionary!

Monday, December 15, 2014

Week 15

This week was full of different things. For starters we decided our apartment didn´t have enough Christmas spirit, so we made tons of paper snowflakes to hang around and borrowed a light-up star. Whenever we´re in the apartment we play Christmas music to add to the environment. I finally got tired of slipping all over the place in the rain because of my worn-down shoes so I found this shoe professional tucked away on a back street to fix them up. When I came to pick them up I was quite impressed: he´d put hard-core boot soles on my shoes and replaced the laces. Now I could go hiking in these shoes if I wanted! The best part was it only cost 30 bucks (60 reais). The other companionship also had a division with the Zone Leaders, so Elder Sorenson came to our city to be with the District Leader for a day. It was funny because he is from Salt Lake City so the three of us Americans started talking about all the restuarants we missed. The top 3 were Cafe Rio, Papa Murphy´s, and Golden Corral.

This is me at a member´s house this week ´helping´ them cook the churrasco (Brazilian Barbeque) for lunch. They know how to do it right!



The highlight of the week was getting to teach one of our prized investigators, Pamela. She is the most interested investigator I´ve ever seen. Every visit she has a ton of questions about the Church for us. I always love answering them because I´m excited to share the gospel to those so eager to learn more about what I know to be true. Its truthfulness is re-affirmed to me every time I teach it. Another investigator we have is in the pits of despair because her abusive boyfriend left her with 3 kids and no way to support them. We want to do everything we can for her. We know the gospel can and will change her life. Another investigator told of how she had been having killer pains in her head and how her home had always felt filled with bad feelings. But when we first visited her, the pains stopped immediately and never returned, as well as the atmosphere in her home. She said we brought a light with us, and always felt peace and warmth when we taught her. We really hope they continue following the promptings of the Spirit and be baptized soon.



--
Elder Joseph Andrew
Porto Alegre North Mission
Caixa Postal 13008
CEP 91010-971
Porto Alegre-RS
Brazil

No comments:

Post a Comment